Gratitude that Steadies and Sustains
"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
The cardinal perfectly perched on the wooden fence. The roses in the background. The rusticness of the shed. This caused me to pause, smile and enjoy the moment of beauty in my backyard as I looked away from my work computer screen.
These are moments that can be easy to thank God for. This beauty invites feelings of happiness and peace. But what happens when things take a sharper emotional turn? When beauty isn't there, when the unexpected hits. The deaths we encounter in this life, the hospitalizations, the family emergencies, unexpected expenses...the list goes on and on. I've mentioned in my few writings this year that it's been a hard year. I've cried my eyes and heart out at all of these situations listed above. I lost a friend of 26 years to a motorcycle accident. Family has faced serious health challenges, and new seasons of life. I've faced several health challenges.
This past weekend I had an encounter with a home invasion in my home. That's never happened to me and I hope it never will again. But I thank God that He was with me and guided me through the whole situation. He gave me boldness to yell and understand what was going on. I thank Him for allowing me to find sleep again. All I have is Him. And so as I write my entries of gratitude for safety after an intruder it also sits beside sermons, yard work, and peach cobbler. What is this pointing to? What have I sought past this "traumatic" event? It is a rhythm of what steadies and sustains me hour by hour, day to day. I'm not reaching for "the bottle" or anything to numb out the pain, I'm not posting on social media for clicks and sympathy, but for the company of my Jesus whose presence is ever with me, and my dog who loves me. Listening to the truth of God's Word. The strength of yard work. The comfort of a peach cobbler fresh out of the oven. This moment doesn't define me or limit me. Of course I was shook when it happened, but I am unshakable in the long run because of Jesus. I've yielded my heart and my mind to see His goodness, to live by His truth, and rely on Him as my Father. I've been through too much to be shaken by this world and the darts it throws at me.
What is your rhythm that sits beside darkness? What is your thankfulness poured out to God next to debilitating health issues? What is your prayer in the night when you can't shut your eyes?
Know this, even in a difficult week, beauty keeps arriving unannounced, sometimes as a rainbow, sometimes as a pencil with a good eraser. Look for Him.
Comments
Post a Comment