My Grandmama



My Aunt Anna wrote this special story about my Grandmother. I was just wanted to share, because I am right proud of my grandmama and love her very much. What a blessing to have her in my life.

"The Missing Stopper"

My Mama has a small cruet she once used for storing vinegar. It has a glass stopper that fits loosely in the spout, so it’s easy to control the flow when pouring vinegar on her greens. Recently, she got that little cruet out again, pulling it out from the upper storage cabinets in her kitchen. But the stopper wasn’t with it. My Mama is 84, and the exact location of things isn’t always easy for her to remember. For days she looked in cabinets and drawers, but…no stopper. So in order to close up the spout, she resorted to a rolled-up piece of paper towel. For most folks, that would solve the problem, but, well, you have to know my Mama – she just doesn’t give up on things! This missing stopper continued to nag at her – where could it be? I’m sure throughout her days, she was constantly wondering where it was.

This went on for days. Then one evening, as she was “piddlin” in the kitchen, she opened one of the cabinet doors to get something out. What do you think rolled toward her, off the shelf and into her hand? The missing stopper!

In telling this to me, she said, “I just laughed and said, ‘Lord, you’re just teasing me!’” I thought, what a precious reaction. Now that’s a relationship!

Then I started thinking about my Mama. You may be envisioning a sweet, little, slightly-addled type of a woman. Let me tell you a little about her.

· She was born on a farm in the 1920s and knows about hard work
· She lived through the Great Depression
· She raised 4 children, who were teenagers during the 60s and 70s
· She suffered the loss of her 9-year old granddaughter in a tragic accident
· She opened her home as a hospice for her older sister’s last days
· She held her 71-year old husband’s hand as he entered the gates of Heaven
· Last year, at 83, she made the 14-hour drive necessary to visit her youngest brother the day before he died
· She intercedes daily on behalf of many friends and family members who are struggling with difficult circumstances in their lives

No, I’m not sharing a sappy event from the life of a sweet, tottering old woman. This is an event showing how a Father cares for His child. And I think more than teasing her, He was telling her in His careful and gentle way: “I know what’s bothering you, and I care. If I help you in this little nagging, mundane annoyance, remember I promise to help you when the big crisis comes. Lucy Irene, you may be seen as an old woman there on earth, but to me, you’re still my little girl. I love you!”

I hope I have a relationship like that when I’m 84.

Matthew 6:25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe