The Daily Surrender



Psalm 143:6 (New American Standard Bible)
"I stretch out my hands to You; My soul longs for You, as a parched land. Selah."

Before I start with my thought process in this entry, I want to make sure that we are on the same page about "Selah" which was mentioned in the verse above.
Selah, is a Hebrew word used mostly in the Psalms. It is an instruction to the reader or singer, (Psalms are songs) to stop and listen, it notes a break in the song like maybe to say "Amen" in stressing the importance of the preceding passage. Selah is also rendered as "Interlude" in some translations. Surrender, is a verb (it's what you do), it means to yield to the power, control, or possession of another upon compulsion or demand.

I've been thinking lately about the daily surrender in life to Jesus. Sometimes we forget to surrender all to Jesus. He has a strong and perfect plan, He just waits for us to surrender to it...DAILY!
Surrender can also be defined as worship. When you lift your hands in the air, that is a sign of surrender, and worship both. We express need, and desire to meet with God, we praise His greatness, and faithfulness. Somewhere in our day we are going to be in a situation that we don't know what to do. So before our day even starts, we need to start our day with our hands in the air and say "I am surrendered to You, Jesus! Lead me through this day." And even when you get to that part of the day when you don't know what to do, put your hands in the air...surrender it!
In Luke 14:33 Jesus tells us, "So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own." When we are not completely surrendered to Him, He has little room to work in us.

Judson W. Van DeVenter wrote the hymn "I Surrender All" in 1896 saying "The song was written while I was conducting a meeting at East Palestine, Ohio, in the home of George Sebring (founder of the Sebring Camp meeting Bible Conference in Sebring, Ohio, and later developer of the town of Sebring, Florida). For some time, I had struggled between developing my talents in the field of art and going into full-time evangelistic work. At last the pivotal hour of my life came, and I surrendered all. A new day was ushered in to my life. I became an evangelist and discovered down deep in my soul a talent hither to unknown to me. God had hidden a song in my heart, and touching a tender chord, He caused me to sing."

All to Jesus, I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

Refrain

I surrender all, I surrender all,
All to Thee, my blessèd Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.

Refrain

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.

Refrain

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power;
Let Thy blessing fall on me.

Refrain

All to Jesus I surrender;
Now I feel the sacred flame.
O the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory, to His Name!

Refrain

Comments

  1. Very cool Allison! We go on Sunday nights! Maybe we will run into each other there sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe