My Hope is Built on Nothing Less

In Christ Alone, and The Solid Rock have been songs to be on my mind this week. I can't listen to them enough. Building on what I wrote about yesterday, a thought occurred to me this morning sitting in a History lecture at school.
If you pay close attention in life God is always speaking to our hearts, sometimes we're just to wrapped up in other things to hear. At least that's the case for me. In history we've been learning about the Development of the West, my group had to discuss a story called the "Grasshopper Attack in Kansas" from Pioneer Women: Voices from the Kansas Frontier by Joanna L. Stratton. The year was 1874, this story is about when floods of grasshoppers destroyed everything the pioneers had worked so hard to establish. They ate their crops, tools, clothes...everything, trees, anything green, their barns and their homes. They were in the peoples beds and on them. So in reading this story we had to answer these questions:

1. What does this account tell us about the predictability and stability of life on the prairie?

2. What might be the effect (economic, social, psychological, physical) on families with these experiences?

First of all does this kind of story sound familiar? Like Moses times? HHuuummm. The plague of locust, which are basically grasshoppers.
This story about the grasshoppers tells us that the predictability and stability of life on the prairie wasn't so predictable or stable. But what in life is? We never know what the next second holds. There are a lot of effects from this "plague." These peoples hope was in their crop and fields. It's what brought money and survival. I couldn't help but think of Job. He's my hero. He experienced something similar to this. I also couldn't help but think of the song "The Solid Rock." Did they have a copy of the Bible then? Did they know to Hope in Jesus? "The Solid Rock" hymn was written in 1834, penned by Edward Mote, a cabinet maker and pastor. I've written several times about this song here on my web-site, I dearly love this song.
Though we haven't been plagued with grasshoppers, our economy has plummeted. Many have placed their hope in their jobs. We still have farmers who rely on their crop to make a living. I guess the whole point Jesus tried to make to me today and all week is, "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness." Things aren't predictable in life, but if our hope in placed in the High and Lofty One we can remain stable. He is our provider. I can't understand or explain the whole reason behind the grasshoppers, but it seems that maybe God's main message to us for all time is to place our Hope and faith in Him. It's been the central message since the beginning of time.
Again, there is that reminder to work unto the Lord. He will restore that which is lost, some of us might have to wait to Heaven, but I believe God is faithful and that His Word is true.
Below is the song I've been listening to all week.
In Christ Alone I stand.


Travis Cottrell - In Christ Alone/The Solid Rock .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe