...and to the republic for which it stands, One Nation Under GOD.....



In 1974, Neil Enloe penned the words to this song:

In New York Harbor stands a lady,
With a torch raised to the sky;
And all who see her know she stands for
Liberty for you and me.

I'm so proud to be called an American,
To be named with the brave and the free;
I will honor our flag and our trust in God,
And the Statue of Liberty.

On lonely Golgotha stood a cross,
With my Lord raised to the sky;
And all who kneel there live forever
As all the saved can testify.

I'm so glad to be called a Christian,
To be named with the ransomed and whole;
As the statue liberates the citizen,
So the cross liberates the soul.

Oh the cross is my Statue of Liberty,
It was there that my soul was set free;
Unashamed I'll proclaim that a rugged cross
Is my Statue of Liberty!

This song parallels The Statue of Liberty to Jesus on the cross.
Often when we see the "Lady Liberty" we think of freedom, liberty, hope, a new beginning for many. Isn't that what the cross symbolizes too? Jesus freed us from the bondage of sin, just as the chains on the Statue of Liberty are loose, so ours are too. America became a free nation on July 4, 1776. When did you become free? For me it was November 20, 2002.
Like this song, I am so proud to be called an American and a Christian. I'm thankful for the way God has blessed this great country of America, and how he blesses us as his children. And just as soldiers have died to keep America free, so Christians have been martyred to keep the Word of God living and circulating so everyone can experience the freedom of God.
America is also a republic, God also functions like a republic; he can parallel with this attribute. Here is a short story to distinguish between a democracy (as many think America is) and a republic. Imagine a bunch of cops (no offense to any cops reading this) catch a bad guy and they are like how many in favor for killing this bad guy, 8 out of 10 vote yes. So they kill him because the majority ruled, that is a democracy. Now on the flip side. A bunch of cops catch a bad guy and before they kill him, the Sheriff rides up and is like the bad guy deserves a fair trial it's the law, that is republic. The Government is limited by law, whereas in a democracy people and majority rule without law. Jesus is like the Sheriff. We deserve death. I've been in History too long.
The point is, whether America likes it or not we are One Nation Under God in more ways than one. We can run and try to kick him out of everything, and rewrite history, but nothing can change that our great country of America was built on God and his principles and people still hold on to that.
I'm proud to be a Christian and I'm proud to be an American!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe