Alcohol- Sensitive Issues

"But you must be careful with this freedom of yours. Do not cause a brother or sister with a weaker conscience to stumble." -1 Corinthians 8:9

As I am of age, 21, I have been questioning and "experimenting" more with alcoholic beverages. I know a lot of people in the church would look down on this and probably condemn me straight to hell. However, if I am not saved through works, I cannot loose my salvation through works. I have sought the scripture on how to go about controlling this sensitive issue. Here is what I have come to:
I am from a family of alcoholics, my granddaddy was an alcoholic, and his daddy was. It's vicious. So, it is easy for me to become addicted to an alcoholic substance, or really anything.
To be really honest I do not care a whole lot for alcohol. If I'm going to drink I will do it in my home and no where else, I will not go to a bar, or order one at dinner, or drink at a party, in other words be a "social" drinker. I will not do this because I might cause another Christian with a weaker conscience to stumble. I have to be responsible in my actions. If I am going to drink, I will be in control, limit myself by setting boundaries, and questioning myself, being responsible.

...will it help my witness for Christ? 1 Corinthians 9:19-22
...am I motivated by a desire to help others to know Christ? 1 Corinthians 9:23;10:33
...will it help me do my best? 1 Corinthians 9:25
...is it against a specific command in scripture and thus will cause me to sin? 1 Corinthians 10:12
...will it be best and helpful? 1 Corinthians 10:23,33
...will I only be thinking of myself, or do I truly care about the other person? 1 Corinthians 10:24
...will it glorify God? 1 Corinthians 10:31

These questions can be asked in all sorts of situations, especially in the sensitive issues.
Am I gaining anything from drinking? No. Am I missing out on anything? No.
I believe that it would be wrong for me to drink because it's covering a hurt or a problem. Only God can cure that, not alcohol.
The Bible says not to be drunk with wine. I agree with that. I will not drink to become drunk, or to go brag to friends the next day. Personally, don't want the toilet to be my best friend for a while, or to deal with a hangover. Just saying.
So that is my stand on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe