Don't Put Jesus First

"The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy." -Colossians 1:15-18

Pastor Steven Furtick of Elevation Church here in Charlotte did a series on this. Don't put Jesus first. While this might shock you, I totally knew the point he was driving home before I even heard the sermon. We tend to put Jesus first everyday. That's not a bad thing, we give him the first of our day. Here is the thought I had though, between thinking about this sermon and my post about college and Jesus, I pointed out that I might not have the time to get up early to read my Bible and spend a lot of time with Jesus in the morning. What this message is saying is we should put Jesus at the center of our day and things we do. Jesus should become the center of my day at school, he should be the center of my conversations, He should be the center of my family, the center of my decisions, the center of everything I do. I shouldn't just talk to Him in the morning, but should talk to him throughout the day. So, it's not a completely failed day when you can't get up at 4 or 5 and read your Bible and pray. You still have the rest of the day to be with him, even in the morning. My mornings are crazy. Here lately I've been getting to bed about 2 AM or later, so I'm not about to get up 2 hours later to read again. I think God understands. He designed our bodies for sleep.
It's like a told someone on their birthday: You get a free trip around the sun every year because our lives revolve around the SON (Jesus).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe