Generate Power: Pray for and Encourage Each Other



"One day as these men were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Dedicate Barnabas and Saul for the special work to which I have called them.” So after more fasting and prayer, the men laid their hands on them and sent them on their way. So Barnabas and Saul were sent out by the Holy Spirit. They went down to the seaport of Seleucia and then sailed for the island of Cyprus."
-Acts 13:2-4

Writing on my blog makes me so happy! So, lately, I've been studying through the book of Acts. Acts, is still being written today, as the church continues to progress. It is important that every Christian know the power they possess through the Spirit. But more importantly than that, I believe every Christian has a responsibility to pray over and for each other. Remember in the last post we looked all through the book of Acts, instances where things happened as a result of prayer. In our key verse for today, because a group of men were worshiping they heard from God, and were told to "dedicate Barnabas and Saul for the special work." After fasting and prayer, the men laid their hands on Barnabas and Saul and sent them out to do the work. We should do the same for each other. Prayer is an essential element in God's plan for His children, it's part of God's strategy for touching and changing the world.
Barnabas was known as an encourager. Think about the people who really matter in your life. Chances are, many of them are encourager's who have found ways to help you keep going. Lately, I've been having to dig myself out of a hole I buried myself in. I've been SO thankful for the encourager's in my life these past few days to hang in there. I ran into one of them at lunch today, it was so good to see her! We talked for a while, I've also been in close contact with two of my former teachers who have to literally talk to me everyday and assure me that I am going to make it. That's who Barnabas was. He was the kind that wouldn't give up on you. His actions were crucial to the early church. God used his actions and relationship with Paul and Mark when they were on the brink of failing. It's not unchristian to struggle with discouragement, it happens to all of us. We are surrounded by people we can encourage.
Our main source of power is the Holy Spirit which is activated by the action of prayer. Next post, we'll take a closer look at the Holy Spirit, for now go encourage someone. Pray for others. Love on others. After all we all bite off more than we can chew sometimes. We were not created to be alone, and do things alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe