Humble Yourselves

"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."
-James 4:10

Humbleness is the opposite of pride. God has been talking to me a lot about being humble, and he has certainly continued to humble me, and keep me humble over my short life. In reading the book, Radical written by David Platt, He challenges Christians to give up the "American Dream." The whole idea of health, wealth, and prosperity and surrender fully to a holy God with all that we really have and say "take me, and use me." He'll humble you alright. Is it worth it? Yes. I speak from experience, so hear me out.
First and foremost, I've never had a lot, I'm only 22 so life is just getting started, hard to believe with all that I've gone through in life. However, I've always had a roof over my head, and enough food to eat. I got my first job at a hospital as a stock clerk, I loved my job and I made a little more than minimum wage. I was far from having my life together, but I was making an honest paycheck. So fast forward to today. I'm working at McDonald's at minimum wage probably a job most consider low. I can laugh now...I guess, but in my job search for nearly 4 years I kept saying, "No, I'm not going to work at McDonald's! I have excellent work experience, an incredible resume, I have an education...etc." I filled out thousands of applications, I was off the couch knocking on doors, calling people, applying for the jobs that would pay good and get me on the way to living a comfortable life on my own. But I had to humble myself...rather God had to humble Allison.
Here's what I've learned. There's nothing wrong with having a lot of material things, if God has blessed you in that department praise the Lord. But maybe we were made for more than just accumulating worldly treasures. God has humbled me in giving me a job at McDonald's, and he has shown me in more ways in one why I am suppose to be there. And after all, didn't our Savior, Jesus humble himself by coming to live among people like us? To die a humble death on a cross stripped of everything. That's what God wants from us. When it's just you and God what does he see? When he strips away everything you hide behind, does he see a reflection of himself, or does he see arrogance and pride? That's all that matters. He can only use those who humble themselves in the sight of himself, and then, and only then will he raise us up. We have to come back to the truth that it is not all about us.
God spoke to me one Monday not long ago as I went to pick my paycheck up. Actually, He has said this on a few occasions. Each time gets louder though. He said, "Allison, (he knows my name) You work in a place that needs to know, experience, see, enjoy, and feel my love. You are here because people need hope, and a good example of my love. Your actions convey my love. I have chosen you to work here because you are willing to humble yourself and allow me to shine through you. You are not here by mistake, these people need you." Those were His words. At that moment one of my co-workers came in to get her check bawling...in tears and I was given an opportunity to do just what the Lord had talked to me about. I work unto the Lord.
Whether God has already humbled you, are you are in the midst of being humbled hang in there, it's not easy or pleasurable...sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do. Life is not fair. But God has a purpose and plan, and until we humble ourselves God will never be able to fully use our lives to it's fullest potential in and through Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe