Prison Ministry

This whole weekend I have been in Columbia, SC on the mission field in prisons. Satan wants you to think that it's going to be scary and something bad might happen, but can I tell you, the only thing bad happening when Satan is telling you that, is Satan! Satan will kill you quicker than the mafia. At first I was excited, but I was also apprehensive because I was kind of by myself. My adopted dad was going to be there, but he wasn't in any of my groups, and I just wasn't sure. He (adopted dad) has been on me about this for at least a year now, and praise God I finally was able to go, and I'm addicted to it. I must also add and tell you what a special person my adopted dad is, especially in the basis of this ministry. He and his wife adopted me into their family last summer, and I was cool with that, and I do love them both. Pretty soon he had me plugged into our churches Addiction Ministry which he also serves in. As I have been going to these meetings I have learned so much, I have grown so much in my walk with Christ, and have been able to overcome a lot of "addictions" somewhat, but not only that apply a lot of the life skill teachings to my life. He has been such an encouragement to my life, he has set me straight in most situations, and has listened to my every problem. The Lord puts people like my adopted dad into our path so that we might experience life more abundantly and have opportunities such as experienced this weekend. You also meet new people, it's funny as people meet me they want to adopt me. I'm just surrounded by words of life, love, and hope, but most importantly other people who love Jesus like I do and who will help me come to know him better.
I am so glad I was able to go on this trip and experience all the worship services I did. I dare say that the church meetings in prison are more alive than many of our churches outside the prison walls. These inmates aren't stupid, they know the Word, they know Jesus and what an honor and privilege to to be in there with them for a short time loving on them, praying over them, encouraging them, and speaking words of life over them. I cannot hardly describe what I have witnessed this weekend. It has touched my heart so deeply. Everyone should experience this just once, it will change your life and inspire you. The best one was this morning, we were in a maximum security center for girls and women. Again, just so many tears. There were probably about 50-70 women in the gym where they meet for church on Sunday. We started out singing God is good all the time, Bless the Lord at all times. So often we forget that Jesus too is with our Christian brothers and sisters who are locked up, He loves them just as He loves me. God was there, and there was such peace. I was so honored to be there, and worship with those who are really persecuted. Can you imagine being a Christian in prison? Do you know how made fun of they are? I looked across the room and the only word that would come to mind was, "Beautiful." Every single one. I kept thinking of these verses:

1 Corinthians 10:31-33
31 "So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Don’t give offense to Jews or Gentiles[a] or the church of God. 33 I, too, try to please everyone in everything I do. I don’t just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved."

Romans 13:11-13
"This is all the more urgent, for you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. 13 Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see."

Romans 15:20
"My ambition has always been to preach the Good News where the name of Christ has never been heard, rather than where a church has already been started by someone else."

Matthew 9:12-13
"When Jesus heard this, he said, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do.” 13 Then he added, “Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.’[a] For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.”

We were there for them. We were there to preach Jesus and His saving power, and His saving grace, and His blood that will cover their sins. I don't know what they were in for, but I do know that "no sin is so deep that he is not deeper still." (Corrie Ten Boom) His blood saved a wretch like me, and his blood reaches the murderer, his blood reaches the child abuser, the sex offenders, the crack heads, the stealer's..etc. etc. But it is also about Repentance, allowing God to cover that sin with his blood. The other day I said a really bad word, a word I have no business saying but it just flew out of my mouth, then I got this image. I got this image of my Saviors blood covering that nasty word that fell from the same mouth that praises Him, and it broke my heart, and I thought, "God, your blood is too precious for it to be covering such a sin." I was so ashamed, but that is the power of His blood, and that is why the cross was so painful because every sin was laid on Jesus.
Oh Christians that we would become more determined in who we share Jesus with, that we would be more serious about our relationship with Jesus. That we wouldn't take anything for granted. I saw girls in the facility that were my age this morning, do you know how heart wrenching that was? That could have easily been me had it not been for the grace of God, Praise God!
We are going again in December, and I pray, pray, PRAY that I can go again. What a blessing! Pray for Safer Communities, and for the leaders in Columbia that we would continue to have access to these facilities in sharing Jesus. Satan was attacking every one of us. But our mission was accomplished until December.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe