Secular

"Run from anything that stimulates youthful lust. Follow anything that makes you want to do right. Pursue faith and love and peace, and enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts."
-2 Timothy 2:22

Last night at the Addiction Ministry, God convicted me of the music I listen too. God just spoke and challenged me to rethink what I listen too. Ultimately, does the music I listen too support Jesus or the sex, drug, and rock and roll life style? Is the music I listen too make me want to worship Jesus or have more of the desire to live the lifestyle of sex, and drugs, and rock and roll? Do I want to give up my rockin' awesome music? No! However, I want to worship Jesus. And I know listening to the radio station I listen to does not glorify Jesus. I get embarrassed at some of the things they talk about and mention. And I know if affects the way I think and talk. I don't think I need to pray about it, God told me and there ain't no praying about it. I guess what I need to pray for is the strength to not listen to it. I love my music. I love my jams. But it is causing me to stumble and not honor God. Ask yourself this question: "Should Christians support people who laugh at our beliefs and values?"
I don't know about you but I want God to use me, I want my life to be pleasing to Him. When we back up one verse in 2 Timothy 2:21 we read:
"If you keep yourself pure, you will be a utensil God can use for His purpose. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work." Are we really making ourselves pure when we sing about killing ourselves, and doing drugs, and having sex, and saying every cuss word on God's green earth? Singing is a utensil God has given us to worship Him, not sing about the things mentioned above. After all, what goes in must come out, right? YES! That is why Paul is writing Timothy saying, "Run! Run, from anything that stimulates youthful lust. Follow anything that makes you want to do right....enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts." Running away is considered cowardly. But wise people realize that removing themselves physically from temptation is very wise. We belong to God! We do not belong to the world or what it offers us. It's hard. But God will give you the strength to press on, and keep working on you till you are all He wants you to be. Till we look like Him. That's what the whole Christian life is about, to be like Him. To enjoy what He gives us, not what the world wants to give us to enjoy. It might be you'll have to quit listening to music for a while. It might kill me, but if it means I have to do that to glorify God I'll do it. I won't lie, Christian music isn't exactly rockin' out there, I know. Just something to think about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe