Blessing Bag

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

-Matthew 25:40-45

Yesterday I met with my mentor. It's always a joy to be with her and discuss God's Word, and share the things God is leading us to do, and has taught us through the week. My mentor has been doing the study "Radical" by David Platt. She was recently challenged with the question if you were to encounter a homeless person would you help him?
We live in the Charlotte area, and there are a lot here. It's easy to possess the ideology of not helping the "homeless" because some of them might just be faking it, or we fear they might go buy drugs. However, Jesus didn't address these concerns in the Bible, all He said was "Help them!" This has been on my heart for a while, sometimes we just don't know how to go about helping. I came across this awesome idea on Pintrest a few months ago, and I'm going to make up and few of these "Blessing Bags" and I challenge you to do the same. When you hand them out, let the person you are blessing that this is a gift from Jesus; Jesus is giving this to them, and He really is. What they do with it is between them and the Lord now, and like the doctrine of stewardship, they will be held accountable before the Father.

So, here is what the bag consists of, feel free to make adjustments, add and take away as you feel lead.



BLESSING BAG: Gallon sized bag-
chap stick
package of tissues
toothbrush
toothpaste
comb
soap
snacks (i.e.- crackers, anything packaged that won't go bad any time in the near future.)
gum
band aids
mouthwash
handwipes
coins (to make phone call or purchase some food)
socks
tracts
NT Bible?

Keep in mind Dollar Tree is a good resource for this, and most of these things come several to a package, and if you coupon, this will cost you very little.
Try it, let me know what your experience, I'll blog mine too. And really, you can just keep these in your car, and when you see someone on the side of the road, hand it to them. That simple. Please keep in mind your safety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe