Living Above Sin

There is one important letter in the word "sin" can you guess what it is? "I." Every problem we encounter when it comes to sin, is because of self. As a society today we are to into ourselves, and that is why God commands us to die to ourselves. Yesterday was heavy for me, as I was driving along, thinking on the Lord, just talking to Him, He stopped me. He showed me something very painful. Me. All I could do was cry out, Oh God! Have mercy on me, as sinner! My works don't mean a thing. The most eloquent prayer, the most beautiful writing, the most beautiful song pales in comparison, and will never be enough to give God the praise that He so deserves. I realized how short I fall constantly. Then there was grace. I'm not even worthy to extend my hand out to reach for it. But He drops it, so that it falls on us, like rain. It was then that I really understood grace to it's fullest. He went beyond mercy, and showed grace and gave Himself. That is amazing. His mercy is breaking us, His grace is renewing us.
With all that being said, it is possible to avoid sinning. So buckle up, we're about to head into some deep stuff.
John Murray is quoted as saying, "Sin does live in me, but I don't have to live in sin." To the believer we live in Christ Jesus, who is our Lord and our Savior. Jesus is the Word, as John 1 finely lays out, so we are also living in the Word of God, which is the Bible. It is the owners manual to life, written by Jesus. In it He tells us how we can not sin so much. It is said often in scripture that what comes out of the heart is indicative of the person. Scripture also encourages us to hide His Word in our hearts that we might not sin against God. The more we are in His Word, and applying His Word the more we are changed moment by moment.
In 1 John 2:16, we see that Satan has 3 ways to tempt us to sin, he has old tricks because he used these in the garden on Adam and Eve. The verse says, "For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world." John further explains in the next chapter 3:4-9 that, "Everyone who sins is breaking God’s law, for all sin is contrary to the law of God. 5 And you know that Jesus came to take away our sins, and there is no sin in him. 6 Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin. But anyone who keeps on sinning does not know him or understand who he is. 7 Dear children, don’t let anyone deceive you about this: When people do what is right, it shows that they are righteous, even as Christ is righteous. 8 But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil. 9 Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life[a] is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God." You see, believers should not practice sin. It is possible to go an hour, and a day even without sinning. It takes a lot of effort, but it can happen.
Sometimes we get tripped up in people pleasing, instead of Christ pleasing. Do you know what is right? Then do it! James 4:17 says, "it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it."
We should run the race with the cross ever before us, when it gets behind us we are exposed to all the mess we don't need to be seeing, or doing. When this happens, turn and run back to the cross. In the wise words of Solomon if sinners entice you turn your back on them, don't go along with them. I would say this is huge in all of our lives, I hope I'm not the only one who struggles with things. It's to the point where I can't watch TV anymore without being tripped up. I'll see a commercial and think, I want that, it looks so good. It will tempt me to heavily, for days and weeks even. I still have the choice/option/free will to drink, and light up, and watch that show, fill my mind with filth because I still have a sin nature, and free will. However, I now have the Holy Spirit who will convict me and not allow me to drink and smoke again, because I belong to Him. I will not want to do these things because I love Him.
I want to honor my Creator.
Living above the Sun, live above sin, die to self!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe