Perspective

"Let us look unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith." -Hebrews 12:2


Lately these mornings here in PDX I've been getting up to watch the sunrise. Fresh out of bed I flail around the neighborhood in my PJ's trying to get the perfect view of the sun rising over Mt. Hood. Taking in the colors, taking in the sounds, I meet with God. My eyes fill with tears. Since it rains 9 months out of the year here if you have a chance to catch a glimpse of God's beauty you better do it! What a gift to not receive. Up, up, up a hill I would climb, "higher, God, higher! I want to go higher with you. I want to see a bigger picture. I don't want to miss anything you would have me see."
When I came home I asked the lady I live with if she knew that she could see Mt. St. Helens from her door. She's lived there for a while, and she didn't know! She is shorter than I, but it got me thinking about perspective. A few of my other friends also came to mind as well, I have one friend who is taller than me, then I have a few other friends who are shorter than I am. My taller friend sees things I don't see, and I don't see what my shorter friends see. What beauty must we miss when we keep our thinking and sight cast on the things of this world, on the circumstances that happen around us, and take our eyes off Jesus and the everyday gifts that He gives. Regardless of height if God is not our vision, if we don't see as He does we miss the big picture that He is trying to communicate to us.
I find myself going to the old hymn, "Be Thou My Vision." I leave you with it's lyrics. God bless you as you seek Him.

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Words: Dallan Forgail (8th Century)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe