Delivered to Glorify Him


A few weeks ago I was faced with a temptation I have struggled with for a while. I share this story because God is really teaching me that He can be trusted and that He is faithful, and I have opportunity to glorify Him in my actions. I was feeling really bad when I started to get sick, major headache, I was tired, not thinking straight. I had gone to Target to get some medicine and all of a sudden out of nowhere Satan attacked! Spiritual battle engaged, immediately I resisted the temptation and walked away. I'm thankful for the verse that reminds me Jesus gets temptation and doesn't leave us without a way out of it. He is so faithful. In resisting Satan, Jesus got the glory. That's been really powerful for me to experience. He gave me a way out. The difference is that I took it.
James 1:12-18 is really powerful in explaining the power when we overcome temptation:
12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. 16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. 18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.
I sat and read this passage of scripture and was so overwhelmed at His goodness and promises. It all points to His faithfulness. Do you realize how powerful that is? I wish you could feel my heart and know how that blesses me so...and I pray it blesses you just as much. It is in this same faithfulness that we glorify God. I love how it says in verse seventeen there is "no shadow of turning." It took me back to the old hymn, "Great is the Thy Faithfulness." This hymn has always been dear to my heart: Great is thy faithfulness oh God my Father, there is no shadow of turning with thee. Thou changest not, thy compassions they fail not. As thou hast been, thou forever wilt be. Great is thy faithfulness! It all starts with the simple act of acknowledging Him. Satan doesn't want us to take that way out. He doesn't want Jesus to be glorified or praised. But just as God is showing Himself faithful to us, this is our opportunity to be faithful to Him. This is how we reflect His glory. What He does we imitate. He breathes out blessing, we breathe out blessing on Him. He sings over us, we sing it back to Him. He is faithful to us, we are faithful to Him. We can't do any of these things without Him first.
It's the glory of His grace. The grace to give us a way out. We are to make much of all the Father gives us. It's His grace that gives me the strength to overcome. It's His grace that gives me another chance. It's His grace that allows these feeble to praise Him. I breathe in His grace, and breathe out praise. To God be the glory, the One who does not let me slip or fall. Who never sleeps and watches over me. Who is with me, and guides my way. He is faithful. Lord find me faithful in You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe