You Are Loved

Meet my friend Philip. I was driving along the road today and came to the intersection of Stark and 257 when I saw this young man standing on the corner with this sign. These words gripped my heart, a lump formed in my throat. Well, I just had to meet this young man. What possessed him to do this? I parked my car in the closest gas station and made my way to him. My heart was overwhelmed.
I told him I liked his sign and what encouraged him to do this. Nothing could have prepared me for his answer. "Hatred for myself." Oh how I know that pain. I fought tears. I looked at his arm, filled with cuts and scars...pain made visible. I know that pain too. I choked. My friend Philip elaborated and said, "I feel like people don't see or hear these words enough, and I want to make sure people know they are loved, and to go share it." I think he's right.
Welcome to my generation. This young man represents my generation well, the millennials. Have you met us? Have you talked to us? We have a powerful story to tell you. We need your love and your physical touch in our life. We are a broken generation who is anxious, depressed, suicidal, and cutters. But we also believe in hope. We value relationships, and very much long for a sense of family from the church. We need for you to listen to us, and help us trust you. We need for you to ask us how we are doing, and how we connect with God. Our answer might surprise you. We need to know that it matters. Ask us what our tattoos mean, ask us about the scars on our wrist or arm. Tattoo's have a lot of meaning to my generation. It's literally a branding. We are branding our story, we are branding Christ. We aren't as rebellious and angry as you think. We have deep passions and convictions.
I cannot put into words how much this young man touched my heart this evening. I just have to ask one question. Are we loving well?
Are giving people the touch they need physically, emotionally, and spiritually? Loving through listening. My generation longs for your relationship with us. We must make room for my generation in the church. So far the church hasn't done a good job of this. We are judged and demanded we be a certain way. Well, I'm sorry but we are kids who need you as the older generation help us grow up. Teach us to have a character that reflects Christ. God is working in us, but we need help to get it out of us. Show us, we'll watch and learn. We only know of God's love when the older generations reach out to us and love us. Essentially, that's what this young man's cry was, it was a cry for love. Who is loving him? Does he know of God's love?
While we are a broken generation, I love the song by All Sons and Daughters that says He takes brokenness aside and makes it beautiful. The valley of dry bones and breathes life. It's a story of transformation, where we learn Jesus is a reason to live and to love.
I made my way back to my car letting the tears go. I thanked Jesus for Philip whose name means 'friend and lover', and his boldness. What a mission for the church to meet. Love well, church. For the sake of the church, for the sake of Christ in all His love for us, for the sake of the Kingdom, LOVE WELL.
It's like what I said in my last post, if there were ever a message Portland needed to hear, it is how precious, and valuable they are to the Father and the love He has for them. I love what Isaiah 43 says, plug your name in there:

The Redeemer of Israel

But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob,
And He who formed you, O Israel:
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by your name;
You are Mine.
2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned,
Nor shall the flame scorch you.
3 For I am the Lord your God,
The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I gave Egypt for your ransom,
Ethiopia and Seba in your place.
4 Since you were precious in My sight,
You have been honored,
And I have loved you;
Therefore I will give men for you,
And people for your life.
5 Fear not, for I am with you;
I will bring your descendants from the east,
And gather you from the west;
6 I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
And to the south, ‘Do not keep them back!’
Bring My sons from afar,
And My daughters from the ends of the earth—
7 Everyone who is called by My name,
Whom I have created for My glory;
I have formed him, yes, I have made him.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe