Do Whatever He Tells You

1 "On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” 4 “Woman,why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” 6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. 7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. 8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.” 11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him." -John 2:1-11

This past year after losing my job at the end of summer, I job hopped a few months. I worked on a farm for a while under South Carolina autumn skies and saw beautiful sunsets from the barn. That job ended after 2 months and I didn't know where or when the next opportunity would arise. After my farm job, I went to Texas to aid in rebuilding homes after Hurricane Harvey devastated the entire Gulf region. It was something God laid on my heart to do. I knew I had to obey, but I also know bills don't stop in the midst of tragedy and circumstances...you can count on bills sure as the sun, and sure as Jesus' 2nd coming. I interviewed a few places, but I was also suffering the effects of being let go from a job that I really loved. Then I got a phone call to interview at a local liquor store, Frugal MacDoogal. (Hang with me, I know I just lost all the Baptist readers). They hired me right on the spot and I loved it there as much as I did the dealership. It was there I met a friend for life, and the Lord had good intentions of me being there.
In that moment of getting the job my mind instantly went to the first miracle Jesus performed at the wedding at Cana. Mary said to the servants, "Do whatever He tells you." They had run out of wine at the party, in that day one could sue for things like that happening. Mary knew what to do, go to Jesus. There is something we should step back and observe about Jesus' miracles. The Miracles He performed always worked for a purpose of declaring who He is, and what He came to do. He was displaying His saving power from the effects of sin. Power over nature, over sickness, over demons, over death! I believe what Jesus was showing us in this is a picture of Salvation. The water used was ceremonial cleansing water to wash away impurities (See Leviticus 14), turning the water to wine is representative and a foreshadowing of His blood that would be shed for us. It is His blood that makes us clean. This miracle also shows that God cares about the small and big things in our life. Running out of wine really wasn't an emergency, but God cared. My rent was coming due, it wasn't life and death, but it was a need, and God cares. More than providing for the need, God gives abundantly. There was so much wine left over, just as there was fish and bread left over from the little boys lunch box that fed 5,000+ people. May we kiss the hand that provides and pour out thank yous always.

The truth is doing whatever He tells you. Go to Texas and rebuild houses, go work on a farm, leave there and go here, go work at a liquor store (believe me, I was just as surprised as you!) Our obedience to Jesus makes us available to His using us. Are you available to God? Are you obeying God? Do you believe God? It's all to the Glory of God when we do these things, and it strengthens our belief in Him as Christ-followers, aka disciples. God puts us in positions often times where we become the contrast. Our obedience lays in our words and in our deeds; what we proclaim and what we promote (Colossians 3:17). Allow God to fill you with Himself, to be poured out as an offering to the people around us to the Glory of the Father who loves us. God bless you as you seek Him, and live not only for the pleasures of this world, but to the day we have our own Wedding Day with Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe