Helping in Jesus Name- Mission Pearland, TX

“Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage. Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."

-Matthew 5
(Picture in Pearland, TX sunrise)


In the wake of Billy Graham's death, I was reminded of my trip to Texas with Samaritans Purse this past November.  Samaritans Purse is an organization within the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.  It was the same day that I was fired from my job that the Lord spoke to me and said, "Go to Houston and help." Though I felt as if I had just lost everything, I knew I had nothing but time to give. As the months have passed my faith has been tested for this obedience to the Lord. How am I going to be able to make this financially work? Will my car hold up alright? What if?  I left Charlotte with $200 in my pocket to get to and from Texas in a week.  I lived on PB&J while on the road, and tried to use all the resources possible that I could.  I had some loose pocket change, a Chick-Fil-A cow card for free food, and a Starbucks gift card.  

It was a beautiful time, I saw different things, met people from all over the states at my site.  The particular site I was at, the homeowner had lived in his house for 30 years and was a former police officer.  He said he had rolled over during the night and his hand splashed water right next to his bed.  As the waters started to rise from the surrounding bouys, there was 5 feet of standing water all around.  Many streets were still filled with debris and trash.  Many lost animals.  The horrible stench of black mold and decay.  It was almost like a living hell.  




Living Quarters



Mess hall



Where we showered.








The heat of Texas 90 degrees + humidity.  Almost unbearable. 





We had to take the house down to the studs and shock it with a chemical that kills all the black mold and flesh-eating bacteria.  





We even made Franklin Graham's Instagram!  I'm next to the homeowner, big guy in the blue.  

This trip for me was a step of obedience and faith.  That even when I didn't know how I would be able to do the trip without financial means pouring in, God asked me, and burdened me to go.

This is the message of the Good News from this trip.  Tell everyone who is discouraged, Be strong and don't be afraid!  Jesus is coming to your rescue!  The only thing that could move us to do things this wild for God is that He is alive and He is real and His message is true.  His love is real and goes throughout all the earth.  Through that, we are to be as identifiable as those Orange shirts!  We are carriers of the Gospel everywhere we go.  

Here are some other pictures below of what my eyes beheld on that journey:








Got me a gulf shell.


Mobile, AL
#AisforAlabamaandme







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe