There is a Fountain



"Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches.  In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water. For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had." -John 5:1-5

This morning driving into work I had on my playlist, "Choir Favorites."  I miss and love my choir, I love singing in choirs and have been singing all of my life.  The song, "There is a Fountain" (traditional hymn) came on.  Then in my devotion time I read of the fountain of cleansing in a prayer book.  There are fountains all in uptown Charlotte to remind me of these truths today and everyday.

Further in this text of John there is man who has had a sickness for over 30 years who encounters Jesus.  Jesus simply asks, "Do you want to be made well?"  While we think that may be a rhetorical question, or silly for Jesus to ask a sick man if we wants to be healed, it's actually not.  Most people are content in their sicknesses.  Jesus is willing, but we have to want to as well.  The man explained to Jesus, he can't get in the pool by himself, and nobody will throw him in when the water is stirred up.  Physical illness is the least of my worries, while I have many, I am sick with sin.  I cannot cleanse myself, nobody else can cleanse me; Only Jesus in an encounter with Him and confronting of my sickness.

He is the fountain that has forever stirred up the waters for anyone who wants to fall into and be healed of sin.  Earlier in John he tells of the account of Jesus who has a conversation with a woman at a well.  Jesus says of Himself, "But the water that I shall give will become a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”


  1. The dying thief rejoiced to see
    That fountain in His day;
    And there have I, though vile as he,
    Washed all my sins away:
    Washed all my sins away,
    Washed all my sins away;
    And there have I, though vile as he,
    Washed all my sins away.


Dear Father, thank you for Jesus. Though I am often compelled to cry, 'Unclean', I have a fountain for sin.  I want to be made well.  Wash me and I will be clean.  Remind me that is the Good News, and the story to be told.  Thank you for loving me.  Amen.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe