The Road Not Taken: Take Two

The Road Not Taken
Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Back in February I did a post on here (check the Archives) on Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken." I love Robert Frost's poetry, and have been writing a paper on this particular poem and analyzing it this semester. In the hundreds of times I have read this poem I have gotten the main message Frost is wanting to convey. However, last night as I was reading over it again and analyzing it, I asked myself why mention He was in a 'yellow wood'? Of course it implies that it is Fall but why does he want us to know that? The harder I thought, it all came to me and I broke into tears, I took my head in my hands and yelled, "Oh My God! I didn't see that coming!! HOW Awesomely Beautiful!!" Here's what I found:
The Literary Technique connotation reveals a deeper meaning than one would originally think or notice. “Yellow wood” I believe implies that it is fall, but also a picture of the beginning of making good choices, or in a Christian perspective choosing Jesus. In the fall leaves change colors, then fall off their branch for a new leaf to appear in spring. In many ways that represents life. When we choose a way that not many people take, we are allowing our lives to be changed, and in doing so die to our old self, and allow for a new life to come in the spring. Absolutely Amazing!
Choices and life are represented in this poem; we can choose what is right or wrong. Sometimes, what is right requires you to be a leader. When the two paths are described, one was grassier and ‘wanted wear’ however, both seemed to be taken about the same. Each path is going to take you somewhere. At the start of a new morning we have the choice of which path to take; whether we choose the same path we’ve been taking, or to choose different and hope for something better. We can’t backtrack in life, nor can we take back choices, rather we keep moving forward hoping for better things.
In taking the ‘road less traveled’ the speakers says ‘that has made all the difference.’ Matthew 7:14 in the Bible says “The gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.” I think the most precious thing about traveling a narrow road that is less traveled, is who you get to travel it with, and since it's so narrow we are close to each other. It most certainly does make all the difference in our lives. I love my traveling buddies that's for sure.
What Road will you choose today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe