The Bible in 90 Days: Week 8- Integrity



Well I'm not going to lie, I am no where close to being where I'm suppose to be this week, but I am trying, and am making progress as I stay up late reading. I wanted to highlight a few things that have stood out to me as I have been power reading through the Bible. Presently I am in Psalms, Psalms was started in week 6...so that will give you an idea of how far behind I am. I got kinda discouraged there for a while figuring if I had missed all that reading there is no point in trying. But there is a point, and after talking to the Lord about it, I put on my big girl britches and got to reading again. For further information about this challenge click on "The Bible in 90 Days" tab. I will also put further contents and thoughts on that tab than I will in this post.
In reading 1 and 2 Kings I was really amazed at how the Kings behaved. I kept track of who did good in the sight of the Lord and who didn't. 1 Kings opens with the reign of Solomon, a time when Israel enjoys a great deal of influence, wealth and worldwide recognition. Yet, even as the worlds wisest man, Solomon is corrupted by worldly matters and the faiths of his wives and concubines. At his death the kingdom becomes divided into the Northern Kingdom of Israel, and the Southern Kingdom of Judah. Judah is the line of David also meaning Jesus' blood line too, hence a name we call Jesus, The Lion of the tribe of Judah. I always new the south was a good place to be. HAHA! In the whole Kingdom of Israel there was one good King who did what was pleasing in the sight of the Lord. Idolatry had cursed that Kingdom and the people refused to turn from it. The Kingdom of Judah had more bad Kings than the did good, but nothing in comparison to Israel. The Kings there failed to destroy pagan shrines and idols. There were 2 kings that were said to be unlike any king before or since. King Hezekiah and King Josiah destroyed the pagan shrines, and followed God's will. There were both known as reformers.
I found Nehemiah to be a joyful book. He used the word joy A LOT. He also constantly asked God to remember his good deeds, and not forget how he has faithfully served God. In other words I think he is asking God to judge him, and reflecting on what God says about him. Nehemiah wants to only be found faithful to God, and pleasing to Him. Nehemiah was a leader, and a good leader at that and it was all because he followed the One who guides and directs our paths.
I have posted on here about Esther before. Her story inspires me. Esther is one of 2 books named for women, the other in Ruth. God's name is never mentioned in the whole book, however, his presence and fingerprints are all over it.
So now we come to my hero, Job! What a great book of the Bible. Job was known as a man of integrity. Integrity is a word that shows itself everyday in my quiet time and throughout the day. It is mentioned A LOT in the Bible leading me to believe that it is very important that we strive to be people of integrity; adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
What does the Bible have to say about integrity?

Integrity means treating people fairly and honestly. (Leviticus 19:35-36, Deut 25:15, Proverbs 16:11-13)

Integrity is giving your word and keeping it. (Exodus 8:28-32)

Integrity will protect you. In Psalm 25, David prays that integrity and uprightness will protect him. How can it? (Psalm 25:21, Proverbs 2:7-8, 10:9, 11:3, 13:6)

Integrity is more valuable than riches. (Proverbs 28:6)

The Lord will test and judge your integrity. (1 Chronicles 29:17, Psalm 7:8)

The Lord hates lies and lack of integrity. (Zechariah 8:16-17)

It may be difficult to maintain your integrity. (Job 2:3, 2:9, Proverbs 29:10)

Your character can be corrupted by bad company. (1 Corinthians 15:33)

Integrity will be rewarded. (1 Kings 9:4-5, Nehemiah 7:2, Psalm 41:11-12)

Your integrity should set an example. (Titus 2:7)

Job is just an awesome dude, and I like him a lot. His integrity was tested but he passed. The Lord was good to him even in allowing Satan to go test him. In the end Job ends up having more than he started with. We learn a lot from Job, it's theme is more faith based than "suffering" and "patience."
Psalm is a book I never get tired of, the whole purpose of Psalms is to provide poetry for the expression of praise, worship, and confession to God. Psalms has a unified plan, but each Psalm can be read and understood alone. I have always thought Psalms to be prayers and songs to be lifted up to God, so that He can lift our heads. Whats even cooler about the Psalms is some were written as many as 1000 years before Jesus' birth, several of the Psalms appear to point to the coming of Jesus the Messiah including chapters 2, 8, 16, 22, 45, 69, 72, 89, 100, 118, 132. In chapter 22 you will immediately see that it depicts the crucifixion of Christ in detail, hundreds of years before the event.
It is so important that we read the Bible. We benefit from it in the way that God reveals himself to us, He instructs us how to live, and his love is demonstrated for us. You don't want to miss that. How precious are His words and His thoughts are about us they are innumerable! There is so much to learn.
So dig in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe