Why does the Church Exist in the World?



The world stands on the brink of disaster. Its need for the church is more evident than in more optimistic times. Christians know the Lord has called them out from the world to send them on an urgent mission. But many are confused as to the precise nature of their task. Is it social work or evangelism, or both?
I read in the Charlotte Disturber this morning. Apart from the murders, rapes, missing persons, and Britney Spears coming to town, I was disturbed yet again by a church news article. Right smack on the front headlines "Churches putting out the diversity worship mat. Their mission: Comeback of the neighborhood church." So why did this disturb me? Well, you should read the article. There were a few things in the article that bothered me. It's been my prayer that would not allow me to get stuck in my ways at church. To not get upset when I don't get to sit where I want, to bear with music, and other such things. One thing that we MUST learn as Christians is that the church doesn't not exist only for us. We are not the center of attention, it's not all about us at all. If you were to visit my church, you will learn after a while that in our "Code" that we need your seat. "We will not cater to personal preference in our mission to reach this city. We are more concerned wit hthe people we are trying to reach than the people we are trying to keep." It's not about us as Christians, we know the truth. Here are some power verses for you:

1 Corinthians 10:31-33
31 "So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Don’t give offense to Jews or Gentiles[a] or the church of God. 33 I, too, try to please everyone in everything I do. I don’t just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved."

Romans 13:11-13
"This is all the more urgent, for you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. 13 Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see."

Romans 15:20
"My ambition has always been to preach the Good News where the name of Christ has never been heard, rather than where a church has already been started by someone else."

Matthew 9:12-13
"When Jesus heard this, he said, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do.” 13 Then he added, “Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.’[a] For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.”

We as Christians have been placed in this world for one reason, and that is to evangelize to a lost world the Good News and truth of Jesus Christ. The attitudes that accompany evangelistic discourse are: boasting in Jesus, being a servant, loving, obligated, and graciousness. His Word is not bound by format. Our mission is exactly what my pastor, Steven Furtick preached on this weekend. We point the way, and clear the path! We point others we encounter to Jesus, not programs or people. As a result of this action we see changed lives because we told people about Jesus. The church, the body of Christ contains Christ, that's why we are called the body of Christ, and that's why it is SSSOO important that we bring people to Jesus. Because when Jesus sees people like me, he doesn't call me because he knows my past, or what I'm going to do to disappoint him, he calls according to the potential he sees in us, and creates in us.
Who do we reach? From the least to the greatest, cultures of all kinds, educated and uneducated. Where is the good news heard? All nations! to the ends of the Earth! wherever you are, where His name has never been heard. The people responsible to this is you, it's me. When we become filled with the Holy Spirit, you will receive power to go and preach the Word!
I'm not saying that Christians don't need the church, and should never go back because they already know Jesus. But we shouldn't become so possessive and unwilling to change, just hanging in our cliques...it's a problem in many churches. Really, many discerning people have become disenchanted with the institutional church. However, Christians need the church as a vital agency through which to express their love for God and each other and to fulfill sharable objectives such as: The Church....
1. publicly baptizes the believer portraying the action Jesus taught and showed.
2. provides for the believers lifelong learning of apostolic doctrine.
3. stimulates loving fellowship with other on the basis of common faith in Jesus Christ, not educational, racial or social status.
4. supplies a responsible taking of the Lord's Supper, identifying with the crucified and risen Lord.
5. encourages the believer's participation in united prayer.
6. trains each member in the use of his spiritual gifts for the benefit of all members.

I think the key ingredient we MUST possess as a church and body of believers is love. Jesus couldn't stress it enough. Love, Love, Love! All you need is love, Love is all you need! (Who sang that?) Love your neighbor as yourself. What was that whole article about in the Charlotte Observer?! The comeback of the neighborhood church! Love your neighbors, reach out to your neighbors. We have a real problem with that in the church at times. We let things, mess, Satan, get in our relationships and destroy them. We need to always love each other. My Aunt tells me, it doesn't matter if you don't like them, but you have to love them. I can't love with Allison love, I must love with Jesus love. It's the Jesus love that allows me to love all people, and it bothers some, but it's okay. I'd rather bother you with love, than with hate.
If you are not involved in your church, start being a servant. No sense in sitting in your seat bored. Contribute to the work that has to be done, be the reason the church exists in the World.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe