I Would Be True

"So the last will be first, and the first will be last. I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the Kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him."
-Matthew 20:16, 21:31-32

I wanted to share a thought I had the other day. Matthew has been a great book to be in this past week studying and reading. A theme that I noticed in the book of Matthew is the fact that we are equal. Jesus tells his disciples the parable of the workers in the vineyard. Each worker earned a denarius, the workers who came at the 11th hour and the workers who had been there all day. It's showing God's grace too. Only by the grace of God are we where we are today. Even in the worst circumstance of life, God is good to us. The book of Nehemiah has also become a favorite of mine to read and study, I call it "the joyful book." In chapter 9 it talks about how for three hours the book of law was taught to them, then for another three hours they confessed their sin! That verse has always moved me. But as I thought about it more and more, the Addiction Ministry I go to came to mind. From the outside, people may consider the ones in the addiction ministry to be pretty messed up and no chance of ever being a "suitable" Christian. In other words some high Christians who think they are better than those of us with problems judge us and look down there noses at us. However, what people and these Christians don't realize is that the people in the addiction ministry are right where God wants them, they are at a humbling place in their lives. People who hit rock bottom like a lot of us in this ministry have no where but up to go. They are broken, and have repentant hearts. To be able to confess to each other our shortcomings is huge! It puts us in a place where all we can do it love and support each other, we know our weaknesses. We have no room to judge each other because again like it says in Matthew we have a plank in our eye which makes it impossible to remove the speck of dust from our neighbors eye. It is also being true to ourselves, to each other, and to God. We don't hide who we are, we come before God and each other asking for prayer and for guidance and help. Not many people can admit they need help.
In thinking about all of this the hymn written by Howard A. Walter in 1906, "I Would Be True" has been going over and over in my mind. Here are the lyrics. My Aunt challenged me and all my cousins to consider this song the cousin code, the ponder it's lyrics and remain true to each other. I believe as a body of believers it is important that we stay true to each other as well.

I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.

I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.

I would be faithful through each passing moment;
I would be constantly in touch with God;
I would be strong to follow where He leads me;
I would have faith to keep the path Christ trod.

Who is so low that I am not his brother?
Who is so high that I’ve no path to him?
Who is so poor I may not feel his hunger?
Who is so rich I may not pity him?

Who is so hurt I may not know his heartache?
Who sings for joy my heart may never share?
Who in God’s heav’n has passed beyond my vision?
Who to hell’s depths where I may never fare?

May none, then, call on me for understanding,
May none, then, turn to me for help in pain,
And drain alone his bitter cup of sorrow,
Or find he knocks upon my heart in vain.


When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts.
Acts 11:23


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe