The Promise


I was thinking about something my Sunday School teacher, John, said in Sunday School Sunday. Many times when we share our testimony with others we are focusing all on what we use to be, and go on and on about how bad we were, then we got saved, and the emphasis is not on Jesus at all. The emphasis is on Satan and his evil schemes.
This brought me think about Noah and the Flood. Imagine, Noah writing down his story and putting all the emphasis on the flood. 40 days and 40 nights it rained, he was stuck on a boat with smelly animals, and his family. God destroyed pretty much all of mankind, sparing only Noah and his family. Then the earth got dry, and we were thankful God saved us, the end. The story does not end that way, it ends with Noah giving a sacrifice of praise to God, and God giving Noah a promise. We read this in Genesis
(Chapter 8)"Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and there he sacrificed as burnt offerings the animals and birds that had been approved for that purpose. 21 And the Lord was pleased with the aroma of the sacrifice and said to himself, “I will never again curse the ground because of the human race, even though everything they think or imagine is bent toward evil from childhood. I will never again destroy all living things. 22 As long as the earth remains, there will be planting and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night.(Chapter 9) Then God told Noah and his sons, 9 “I hereby confirm my covenant with you and your descendants, 10 and with all the animals that were on the boat with you—the birds, the livestock, and all the wild animals—every living creature on earth. 11 Yes, I am confirming my covenant with you. Never again will floodwaters kill all living creatures; never again will a flood destroy the earth.” 12 Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. 13 I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. 14 When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, 15 and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life. 16 When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” 17 Then God said to Noah, “Yes, this rainbow is the sign of the covenant I am confirming with all the creatures on earth.”
In thinking about how we approach our lives and the testimonies God has allowed us to endure, is this how it is in most of our lives? Do we compose our stories to give God glory, or Satan? Do we end with just Jesus saving us? We end up missing God's promises in our lives because we cling to what was, and not what is, which is a sacrifice of praise and a better life God wants to give us.
If there is one thing that has stuck with me about promises it is this: "The promises of God are more about the promiser than the promise itself." Everything about our lives point to Jesus. He is everything, the is the author, perfector, finisher, and lover of our lives. I will submit to you today that we as Christians are not fully living in the promises of God, we lack faith. But I'm so thankful it does not depend on us, but it all depends on God and HIS sovreingty, and HIS grace.
God is so amazing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe