Team Jesus!

"And He [Jesus] called His twelve disciples together and sent them out two by two, with authority..." -Mark 6:7

I was on my Facebook page today and I came across the status of my friend who is a Pastor at one of the local churches here in town. What's even cooler is he happens to be my next door neighbor. His status was very thought provoking that it lead me to read the scripture he posted and answer the questions He imposed. Here is his status:

"As I prepare for Sunday's sermon, I am focusing in upon Mark 6:1-13. I am intrigued by the simple fact that Jesus not only taught the disciples. He sent them out into the community to put into action what he had taught them. He gave them authority to live like his Kingdom had come. I think it's pretty interesting how he sent them out in teams of 2. So often I think it's easy to get caught up in meeting to talk about the faith, think the faith, soak up the faith, then treat a new insight and/or feeling like simply having the new insight and/or feeling is enough. In what way does God send us out in the community to minister in teams of 2 today? Any examples? Any thoughts? In what ways does going out in teams of 2 to minister increase our expectation that God will work through us to make his presence known?" Reverend Bart

I think of my job, the school I go to, my brother, my family, and yes even my next door neighbor. At my job I found out quickly that I wasn't the only believer there, at my school I have met other believers, and my brother is a fellow believer, my next door neighbor is a fellow believer. Wherever we go, God pairs us up with those who possess the same mind of Christ. He sends us to go and do the mission He has set before us.
We are paired up I believe so we can encourage one another, so one can be the prayer while the other speaks. Jesus said in His Word, when two or more are gathered in my name, I will be with them. We learn from one another, though we may be under the same pastor, and do many of the same things, each of us has a unique past, and learn differently, and pick up on different things. It gives accountability, there is a witness to what happened, there is protection. It can kind of be viewed in marriage terms I guess, each sustains the other. We are not to face rejection and hardship alone.
Essentially, we are not meant to do ministry by ourselves. Jesus had the Father. We were not created to do anything by our self. You look at all the great men and women of the Bible, each had a companion, and not just a wife but also men of God. Enjoy the companionship of those who surround you, tell the world about Christ together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe