Watchmen in the Tower

“Son of man, I have appointed you as a watchman for Israel. Whenever you receive a message from me, warn people immediately. Then the Lord took hold of me and said, “Get up and go out into the valley, and I will speak to you there.” So I got up and went, and there I saw the glory of the Lord, just as I had seen in my first vision by the Kebar River. And I fell face down on the ground. Then the Spirit came into me and set me on my feet. He spoke to me and said, “Go to your house and shut yourself in. There, son of man, you will be tied with ropes so you cannot go out among the people. And I will make your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth so that you will be speechless and unable to rebuke them, for they are rebels. But when I give you a message, I will loosen your tongue and let you speak. Then you will say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says!’ Those who choose to listen will listen, but those who refuse will refuse, for they are rebels." -Ezekial 3:17,22-27

God has been calling me to be a watchman. Not the Jehovah Witness kind either. Just to make that clear. But a watchman in my church and ministries I serve in, in my generation, and in my country. I talked to my dear sister in Christ yesterday and we came to the conclusion that we need to start speaking up. Pointing out those things which are wrong and being taught especially. It's kind of like being a shepherd, we are called to protect the flock. To stand in the towers and watch for the enemy and protect our people.
This message might have been given nearly 2,700 years ago, but it is as timely as today’s headlines. War rages in our world today. People are losing their lives by the thousands to terrorist attacks, natural disasters, and war. On another level, the tsunami of sin in our world is rising. Old convictions and standards are being swept away right before our very eyes. The winds of change are blowing all around us and fearful things are just over the horizon. Today, just as there was in the Major and Minor prophet's day, there is a need for the people of God to assume the role of watchman. There is a need for us to take our stand, look at that which is approaching and open our mouths and sound the warning.
The watchmen stood guard on the walls of the holy city 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They were the eyes and ears of the people. They knew that thousands of lives and the future of the nation might depend on their diligence, courage and willingness to stay alert and respond to any threat that might arise. His mission was to watch vigilantly, and warn vigorously. They had to stay alert and ready to respond to any changing circumstance or challenge. They could never allow themselves to forget the great responsibility they had to stand guard over the city, or allow themselves to be lulled into complacency or slumber. In humility, and patience, they must be humble before the Lord and wait for His answer in His time. They must be willing to say with the Psalmist, “My soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning” (Psalm 130:6). Enemies on earth and in heavenly places are bent on destroying the Church. Watchmen are warriors, ready to do battle against any enemy. King David said, “Blessed be the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle” (Psalm 144:1). The most uplifting aspect of the watchman’s duties is to lead the way in worship and praise of our Lord and Savior. One of Isaiah’s prophecies that looks towards the Lord’s return says, “Your watchmen shall lift up their voices, with their voices they shall sing together; for they shall see eye to eye when the Lord brings back Zion” (Isaiah 52:8).
Watchmen must be people of integrity, character, and posses morals and values. Watchmen must be trusted. We are instructed in scripture to live a life like Jesus did, if we claim Him.
The message of the watchmen is one of Salvation, Ezekial 33:10-20 lays this out:

10 “Son of man, give the people of Israel this message: You are saying, ‘Our sins are heavy upon us; we are wasting away! How can we survive?’ 11 As surely as I live, says the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live. Turn! Turn from your wickedness, O people of Israel! Why should you die?
12 “Son of man, give your people this message: The righteous behavior of righteous people will not save them if they turn to sin, nor will the wicked behavior of wicked people destroy them if they repent and turn from their sins. 13 When I tell righteous people that they will live, but then they sin, expecting their past righteousness to save them, then none of their righteous acts will be remembered. I will destroy them for their sins. 14 And suppose I tell some wicked people that they will surely die, but then they turn from their sins and do what is just and right. 15 For instance, they might give back a debtor’s security, return what they have stolen, and obey my life-giving laws, no longer doing what is evil. If they do this, then they will surely live and not die. 16 None of their past sins will be brought up again, for they have done what is just and right, and they will surely live.
17 “Your people are saying, ‘The Lord isn’t doing what’s right,’ but it is they who are not doing what’s right. 18 For again I say, when righteous people turn away from their righteous behavior and turn to evil, they will die. 19 But if wicked people turn from their wickedness and do what is just and right, they will live. 20 O people of Israel, you are saying, ‘The Lord isn’t doing what’s right.’ But I judge each of you according to your deeds.”


His message is one of the Lord's return. The watchman says “the morning cometh!” He sounds out the glad note that the night is nearly spent and that dawn is about to break. You see, the night was the most frightening time of all. The watchman could not see as well and the enemy had a better chance of sneaking in for the attack. In the day time, the enemy would be far more easily exposed. The news that dawn was coming brought comfort to the hearts of the people in the city. I’m not sure how great of a watchman I am, but I am glad that I can tell you “the morning cometh!” It won’t be long brother and sisters until the Lord comes to take us home to Heaven. He promised He could come, (John 14:1-3; 1 Thes. 4:16-17), and He will! In fact, His last recorded words are “Surely I come quickly,” Rev. 22:20. Hang on church! It may look dark right now, but morning is about to break and we are leaving here! Thank God, with the morning comes joy, (Psalm 30:5)!
The watchman tells those who hear him to enquire, return and come. He is calling the wayward ones back to God. He is saying them, “There is great danger on the horizon, but there is still time to make a change. Come to God! Return to Him!” That was the message they needed to hear in that day and that is the message that still needs to be trumpeted by the watchmen of our day! Danger is near on the near horizon, but it is not too late. God is still saving souls. He is still changing lives. He is still receiving all who will come to Him by faith. That is the message we need to share with this lost world. They need to hear the news that there is still hope. All is not lost! They can be saved if they will come; if they will return to God.
Will you be a watchman with me? Will you stand up and sound the alarm when you see danger? Will you fight in the strength of the Lord to run the enemy out of your walls? We can't love wolves, they are the enemy. We can't love on the enemy. How is your discernment? Does it need sharpening? I know mine does. We must stay constantly in prayer, praise, and devotion to God otherwise we become just like the world. We must seek the mind of Christ, seek His heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe