The Boundary of Purity

About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?” Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them. Then he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. “And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me. But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea. “Beware that you don’t look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father."
-Matthew 18

As I awoke this morning the Lord spoke to my heart the truth of living a pure life. It really all stemmed from a conversation my mentor and I had last night about the trash that is on TV these days and how we as Christians can't watch that mess and not be convicted for it! This whole week my focus and thought has been on that of technology mainly, and how the whole world is at our fingertips. Because this is true we as Christians must listen to the Holy Spirit, as well as use our discernment. There are no boundaries anymore in our world. However, in every relationship there are boundaries and the same is true in our relationship with Christ. There have been perimeters set by Him not to make life a drag and feel like we are missing out on something, but rather to protect us, and to carry His name well, and live the life that is pleasing to Him. He has called us to live holy and pure lives. The life of holiness is on God's terms and it is a life of conforming to Him, and not what the world does.
When I began to think of purity, I thought of children. I am not a mother, however, I know if I have a child around me I am on the alert of anything bad that could happen, from what they hear, see, feel, anything that would influence their purity. If we are to be as children purely, as indicated in Matthew, we should apply to ourselves what we apply to our children. If we don't like for our children to be apart of certain things, should we be apart? This goes for TV. Is it proper for a Christ follower who is indwelt with the Holy Spirit to watch off color humor? To laugh at perversion? How about words? It is okay to say such words that have the face value of the world? Our music. Should we listen to promiscuity, and demoralization of women being "sung" about? Should we listen to songs about getting high and drinking till the early morning? Since God is our Father, we are His children, and He sees us just as we see our own children, and MORE!
It is about becoming one with Christ. Sharing in harmony with who He is. This comes by repentance. Please keep in mind that this is not condemnation, Romans 8:1 says that there is no condemnation to those who belong to Christ. Repentance is for us, and it cleanses us making us pure once again. This starts in our heart, and our mind. Paul reminds us of these things constantly throughout the New Testament.
"Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity."
-1 Timothy 4:12

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."
-Philippians 4:8

"I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. 8 Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ 9 and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ.[a] For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. 10 I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, 11 so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!"
-Philippians 3:7-11

"God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin."
-1 Corinthians 1:30
One of the pastors at my church this past Sunday night made a very profound statement. We have been going through the book of 1 Peter, we got to verse 12 of chapter 2 where Peter warns us to be careful of how we live among our fellow man, that we are to be honorable. Honorable meaning attractive spiritually, being different, distinct, giving an aroma of Jesus. Dr. Lynch then said, think of our children that we have so offended and let down in our actions as adults. Jesus wanted the little children to come to Him, if we are to give off an aroma of Jesus....are we? Have we hurt any children? Have we hurt their purity in any way? Have we stolen from them their belief that the world that surrounds them is anything but good? Have we distorted their view? Have we done these things to ourselves? Have we gone out the boundary of purity as set by God?
Be careful how you live. As the children's song goes...
Be careful little eyes what you see
Be careful little ears what you hear
Be careful little mouth what you say
Be careful little feet where you go
For the Father up above is looking down in love....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe