Losing

"Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven."
-Matthew 18:21-22

As I was driving in my car recently, I sometimes flip the radio onto a Christian radio station. This particular day as I was listening a new tune from Tenth Avenue North came on "Losing." As I listened to the lyrics they began to work in my heart, and convicting me...they were just all over me!!
One of my most valuable things I've learned in the Christian life is I cannot expect unbelievers to act like saved people. We have this expectation, and don't even realize it half the time. We can become very critical of those who surround us whether saved or unsaved. It's easy to look down our religious noses at others and embrace our own and totally leave out those who most need to feel Jesus through our hands and feet and face. I'm constantly bombarded with opportunities to do just this, and Lord spoke into my mind and heart that as I serve others I'm showing and sharing His love. While I don't tolerate, or accept some behavior, I still need to meet people right where they are and love them like Jesus. To embrace and forgive, even though they have nothing against me personally, the more we do this as Christians the more we are extending Christ. I think at times we get tangled up in a "game plan" like the Romans road, or selling people Jesus, when really all they need it to see us being Jesus to them, and allow the light that shines from us because of the Holy Spirit penetrate their heart, to where the darkness is torn away and they see their own need for Jesus. Love comes first, then we lead them.
People in general are going to disappoint us. So we must learn to forgive freely, some don't know what they are doing, some do, but even still forgiveness...
We must continue to be a light in the darkness of the World. Light as Jesus said He was the light of the world, (John 8:12). Light as God's Word is which guides us and shows the way, (Psalm 119:105). Light as Christians through the Holy Spirit, Matthew 5:14). Light helps us see, and not just with our eyes, but with the eyes of Jesus. As the great hymnest wrote: "I once was blind, but now I see! There are many around us still who are blind but need to see!
Up until today I did not know the story behind this song, as I listed to the clip below I was instantly emotional. This song went deeper than just loving and forgiving and serving those few people who drive me crazy, but to a depth of hurt that still stings. The reality of being mistreated by men in my life's journey, as mentioned in the clip. I have found myself there, having to forgive. I still don't know if I have given full forgiveness, but I am sure as Jesus told Peter in the verse above there is no wrong doing or sin exempt. So I pray again today this song back to God, that I would be His skin and love, and forgive, and serve even when it hurts. I thank Him for His forgiveness, that He saved this wretch, a great and mighty Father, bent down and sees me, and saved me for HIS NAME SAKE! It's not about me, it's not about what I have endured, but all about my Jesus who I desperately want to be like but can only merely trace around the surface.
Father, give me the grace...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe