Do We Really Believe?

"And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.” But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil." -1 Peter 3:13-17

There's a lot that we fight for as Christians. In that fight we get heated when people don't agree or adhere to what we are saying is truth. What has rudely shaken lately is the question of life. Why do I believe in life? I was asked in an interview recently with a Samaritans Purse recruiter, "What is your stance on the sanctity of life?" I've encountered this question many times, but on this occasion my voice cracked a bit and like a good Christian would answer, I gave the "right" answer. "Yes, I believe in sanctity of life from conception to death, only God gives and takes away life." Deep down I struggled, and God squeezed my heart to conviction.

I'm against abortion as a Christ follower. That one is easy for me to answer. But add the rest of life in? Hhuumm.....
My whole life I've struggled with life. Suicide has overtaken my thoughts more than thoughts of a purpose filled life. Cutting my wrists has been my life. Depression, not able to leave my bed. Anxiety, not able to interact with and be in public places. All hindrances to living a happy life. Do I believe in life when I fantasize so much about death? How about when I think murderous thoughts towards another person? OH DON"T BE SO SPIRITUAL!!! Admit it! You've had those thoughts!

What about the 10 Commandments? Christians fight hard for that too! Getting all bent out of shape when the threat of it being taken away from the public eye is imposed. Why? Do you keep the 10 Commandments? Do you believe in them? Can you even recite them? Again, don't be so spiritual! Take the fake mask off and admit it. You can't name all 10 let alone even question throughout your day if you are abiding by them. "Do Not Murder" the Lord says.


I'd be lying if I told you that I've got this whole life thing down, and I can boldly proclaim my absolute belief in life...because most days I struggle. But I do have a living hope in me that keeps me. A hope that I can look to for help, and a truth I can hang my entire life on broken yet it makes me whole. This is my answer for the hope living in me:

That before God personally and intimately formed me in my mother, He knew me, before I was born He set me apart. Jeremiah 1:5
Life and death has been set before me, and God is wanting that I would choose life, so that it may lead to blessings. Deuteronomy 30:19
God created me in His own image and gave me dominion. Genesis 1:27-28

Paganism says humanity is insignificant. But God says our lives mean something because we are human. The culture is one of death. But Jesus said, "I've come that you would have abundant life!" Culture says, "I'm the author of my story." Hebrews says, "Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith."

So am I willing to suffer through this life full of strength and courage to do what He has created me to do? Yes, because there is hope, and there is life beyond the grave in a place called Heaven. It is a call to be faithful is all the days He has gifted me with the full anticipation of what's to come. Not all just for me, but for all lives unborn and born.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe