Love Anyway

"This is how we have come to know love: He laid down His life for us.
We should also lay down our lives for our brothers."
-1 John 3:16
When I was 19 years old I asked God to fill me with His love so I could love like He did. It soon became a song and in the lyric that left my heart I went on to ask Him for His grace too so I could love like Him more. I didn't know the cost...
Love isn't a warm fuzzy feeling I've come to learn. It's not wrapped in sheets. It's not wrapped in arms, though it is an expression. I've found that love is uncomfortable. You're exposed; your guard is down. You risk everything, even your life.
There is a certain pain when people don't love you back the way you love them. Some people interpret love differently, some feel it certain ways. In my case I feel loved when people spend time with me, and in touch. Others feel loved through words, or through gifts. Whatever the avenue there is a cost to loving people.
Often when we get hurt we retreat inside ourselves and vow we will never let anyone in. This is where I've been lately. Scared to fully love people.
Jesus whispered in my ear something so powerful the other night, "Love Anyway." He came to me in a broken mess with two simple words and such meaningful depth. He directed me to the context of 1 Corinthians 13. What is love?
Love is patient, love is kind.
Love does not envy,
is not boastful, is not conceited,
does not act improperly,
is not selfish, is not provoked,
and does not keep a record of wrongs.
Love finds no joy in unrighteousness
but rejoices in the truth.
It bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends.
The depth of what Jesus was whispering to me was, when people grow impatient around you, be patient anyway. When people aren't kind, be kind anyway. When others envy you, love anyway. When people are selfish around you, love anyway unselfishly. It is greater than any faith or hope I could ever have. This is the true love of Jesus. His love that loved us anyway. Though we were Judas' kiss, we betrayed Jesus, He still went to the cross and died in our place.
Love is humbling, you don't get your way always, but love anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe