Elliot

Who believes what we’ve heard and seen? Who would have thought God’s saving power would look like this? The servant grew up before God—a scrawny seedling, a scrubby plant in a parched field. There was nothing attractive about him, nothing to cause us to take a second look. He was looked down on and passed over, a man who suffered, who knew pain firsthand. One look at him and people turned away. We looked down on him, thought he was scum. But the fact is, it was our pains he carried— our disfigurements, all the things wrong with us. We thought he brought it on himself, that God was punishing him for his own failures. But it was our sins that did that to him, that ripped and tore and crushed him—our sins! He took the punishment, and that made us whole. Through his bruises we get healed. -Isaiah 53:1-6

The verses above have stuck out in my mind surrounding this Easter Season and in the midst of this plague. Jesus wasn't afraid of disease or death or anything deemed to be "unclean." He took it upon Himself, and He touched us with His precious hands. The very hands that created us, this universe and world we live in. Our suffering is His suffering. Our sickness is His sickness. He carried it all the way to Calvary.

As we have been locked away in our houses and offices, our eyes have been glued to screens wanting to know what all there is to know about this plague gripping the world. We are safe, they tell us. As deemed an essential worker to my office, I have found myself not leaving my office space all day. I go from home to the the garage, to my office, back to the garage, back home. Its been lonely. I find myself longing for touch, to be hugged, to be assured that it's all going to be okay. It's only been a little over a month, imagine how a leper felt living his whole life never being touched and socially distanced from society because of his sickness. But Jesus changed that.

It wasn't until this past Saturday that God opened my eyes and showed me an opportunity to minister in this odd time of life. I had gone to my office to work for a few hours wrapping up some tasks I didn't get finished during the week. Also, I had taken some office supplies home so I could work from home should it come to that. As I was walking across the street to my parking garage I met a homeless guy by the name of Elliot. He struck up a conversation with me telling me he's from Charleston. Normally I'm a little upset when men target and approach single women like myself but I felt in my heart God had an appointment for me. God was asking me to trust Him. Elliot began to explain to me how everything is shut down, shelters, restaurants, there was no where to quickly go grab a meal, he just wanted something to eat. He had a great personality, and told me about some of the ministries hes trying to get connected with in town for help. I wont share what I did or didn't do. That's Kingdom treasure, but God appointments are powerful. They are moments of trust and obedience to my Father who has poured eternal blessings on me. Meeting Elliot made me realize the need uptown right under me in a 3 block radius. People are hungry, and have no means to get any food. No one is walking around give them spare change. Uptown is shut down. They have no phones to call in orders. No credit cards to pay over the phone. All weekend I thought about and was burdened about my friend Elliot and the need facing my city. Since my senior year in high school I have done a lot of inner city work. I've hung out with people who don't have a home, or food, who are dirty, and have no hope.

This is an opportunity to shine for Jesus, and love those He loves. Some people give extravagantly for the publicity, and pat on the back. I guess it accomplishes the same end, but in my heart, these are errands for the King, a sacred work of Kingdom treasure to be hidden in Him. God has so softened my heart in this area, and its only through Him in me by His Spirit that I am able to accomplish the tasks He places before me.
Saturday after leaving work I went to the store and purchased items to make up "bagged lunches" (don't know what else to call it). After work this evening I prepared 12 sandwiches and other items tossed in the Wal-Mart bag to pass out up and down Tryon Street. I met exactly 12 people who were overly thankful to receive the food. One man looked at me, and said, "Thank you for thinking of us." Another man came running across the street to me, and was so grateful. In each bag I placed a card that read simply, "You Are Loved." I plan to continue pursuing and fulfilling this opportunity placed before me. I only wish I had been doing it all along, I trust the Lord's timing is perfect, and He revealed the need at just the right time.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe