The Song of Saints

 But when all is said and done,

God’s Temple on the mountain,

Firmly fixed, will dominate all mountains,
    towering above surrounding hills.
People will stream to it
    and many nations set out for it,
Saying, “Come, let’s climb God’s mountain.
    Let’s go to the Temple of Jacob’s God.
He will teach us how to live.
    We’ll know how to live God’s way.”
True teaching will issue from Zion,
    God’s revelation from Jerusalem.
He’ll establish justice in the rabble of nations
    and settle disputes in faraway places.
God-of-the-Angel-Armies says so,
    and he means what he says.
-Micah 4:1-4 The Message




There is a sweet old hymn called, "I'm Pressing on The Upward Way" my favorite verse says, 

"I want to live above the world, though Satan's darts at me are hurled, for faith has caught a joyful sound, the song of saints on higher ground.

Lord, lift me up and let me stand, by faith on Heavens tableland.  A higher plane than I have found.  Lord plant my feet on higher ground."

There is something so profound and deeply rooted in language, language that sings, speaks, and prays.  An intimacy when spoken out-loud our ears can hear it, acknowledge, and it promotes a self-awareness that leads to self-control.  There is power in language.  
It has been shown in studies that language helps children control and regulate behavior.  In an experiment they children were given 1 marshmallow.  However, if they waited they could have 2.  Some children stared at the marshmallow making the temptation that much worse.  In the older aged children they used language to help themselves overcome temptation either through speaking or singing to themselves, reminding that if they waited they would get more.
I see God in everything I study, in everything I read and encounter.  Maybe you do too and can see where I'm going with this.  We children of God come across so many temptations.  Jesus too was tempted and He SPOKE the scriptures right at Satan.  In the face of battle King Jehoshaphat's army SANG and their enemy killed each other.  The power that binds us, and lifts us up as a church gathered or dispersed is centered around singing, and spoken word.  It matters what words you sing, and speak.  
I'm apart of The Getty's global initiative to sing the scriptures, and writing new hymns; to sing the deep rooted truth and theology of scripture because it matters.

When we can pause and give way to a song that has been planted in our heart and bring it to our lips, we will remind ourselves and keep focused this 1 marshmallow is nothing compared to the promise of more.  

As for me, I need to talk to myself more.  Be more vocal in speaking things out loud, if just for myself to hear.  I sing all the time, sometimes out loud, sometimes just listening, and sometimes I know the words so well I don't even have to think.  I would rather have regulated, self-controlled behavior and talk to myself all day than sit in the silence of pain.  

I find this thought fascinating furthermore in the age of social media and texting where we are more prone to speak through our fingers.  As a result it has led to MUCH controversary and embarrassment for many people, myself included.  Instead of talking out what is in our head when angry or frustrated we blow social media up.  Language is a sensation meant to be felt I believe, that even applies to sign language as you are signing specific symbols.  

My point is sing your song saint!  Speak the scriptures into your heart.  Pray to the God of Heaven out-loud.  That's my recommitted of focus to keep pressing on.  I want all the marshmallows, and I'll wait for my God to bring the blessings He wants upon my life in this day, until the day He brings me into His Kingdom.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

Hupomone -- A Patient Endurance

That You May Believe