The Way of Healing According to Jeremiah

 My life has felt like it's been spinning out of control for a few years now.  Maybe you feel that way too; still feeling the affects of the pandemic and how shaken up life became.  We've lost friends, family both through death and in the manner of politically not seeing eye to eye.  We fell out of church and away from church because it wasn't open, or other reasons which may also fall into the political spectrum.  Jobs changed.  Life just isn't the same.  We've endured a lot these past couple of years trying to pick up the pieces and rebuild from the wreckage.  The trauma of all we faced lead us to do some things we maybe would never do.  I found myself in that situation.  It's like one bad thing led to another bad thing and it was a snowball effect downhill.  How do we recover?  

Maybe you're a perfect Christian and none of the past few years fazed you, in that case, that's wonderful for you.  In the case of myself and I'm sure many others we are bruised, scarred, and bleeding.  We're trying to get back to where we need to be, ashamed of the sin that has encountered our souls.  We're looking for an encounter with the One who restores our soul (Psalm 23).  

I've been reading the book of Jeremiah over the summer and it's been healing for me.  While yes Jeremiah is a prophet who weeps, and maybe that equated with depression, I believe we can at this moment in our nation and world understand the tears of Jeremiah for his nation.  I'll share a few highlights and treasures I have discovered so far that have brought me comfort, hope, healing and a path back to God.

The book of Jeremiah begins with a truth that my life begins with God when God says to Jeremiah, "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you..." (v.5)  God's knowledge of us, and His presence in our life has been infinite.  Because of this truth, our lives make the best sense when it is lived out in relationship to God.  Solomon knew this to be true as well!  Why would we not follow and love the one who created us, and wrote the manual on how to live?  We must remember the Lord.

God says to Jeremiah that his people had committed 2 evils, "They forgot me, the fountain of living waters, and made for themselves their own broken way that holds no water."  (2:13)  Jesus reveled himself to the woman at the well as the living water.  Only Jesus can satisfy our longing for something, it is an eternal satisfaction.  We eventually come back wanting more, more alcohol but it keeps leaving us empty, another hit to stay high, more designer items but its never the right color, more money only for it to clear through your hands to another.  That trying our own way. Psalm says, "For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light."

A few chapters forward God says "Stand in the ways and see, ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; then find rest for your souls."  Another way to say 'old paths' is ancient paths pointing to the Law of Moses.  The Ten Commandments, the Shema (Deuteronomy 11), "Love the Lord your God with all your heart soul and mind.  Having His Way ever before you."  Jesus says in Matthew 11, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  We are not left without help to walk in the ways of God, or in life.  Jesus is gentle and lowly, and He is easy to learn from.

"O Lord, I know the way of man is not in himself; it is not in man who walks to direct his own steps.  O Lord correct me, but with justice..."  "Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart departs from the Lord, he will live in a land that is of salt and not inhabitable.  Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and whose hope is the Lord, he will be like a tree planted by the waters..." Jeremiah 10:23; 17:5-8  There is a difference in who is cursed and who is blessed and has hope!  Believe in God, put your trust in God, (see yesterdays post to expound on belief.)

"Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; Save me and I shall be saved, for You are my praise."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

That You May Believe