Unprepared Preparedness in Advent

Yesterday morning (Sunday Morning) I pulled down my Advent wreath.  For the past few years it has sat on my bookshelf, and I decided end of last Christmas that I wanted to do my wreath this year.  So I went to Hobby Lobby in true Christian fashion and bought the purple and pink candles, kept them in the bag and threw them next to wreath.  Fast Forward to Sunday morning...I set my candles inside and noticed I forgot the most important candle!  The white Jesus candle!  I felt terrible.  Typical Allison letting myself slide on stuff, and not preparing ahead of time for things.  After church I went to Target in search of a white pillar candle that would fit in the middle.  

As I sat in my shame of being unprepared for the preparedness of Advent, God brought to mind the parable of The 10 Virgins.  He was warning me of the sleepiness and lack of awareness and to wake up!  The parable goes like this:

“Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps[a] and went to meet the bridegroom.[b] Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ 10 And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. 11 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ 12 But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ 13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Matthew 25:1-13

Today's World would have us believe it's okay to slip up and not feel too bad about it.  If I don't have this or that, it's okay ask someone and either expect or demand they give it.  We must be disciplined people, and we must know Jesus for ourselves.  Walking in apathy doesn't make us strong Christians, sliding in by the skin of our teeth assuming those around can give of theirs doesn't amount to a strong Christian.  

In the anticipation of Jesus returning is rooted in faith in Jesus.  Those who believe He is coming back at any given moment are ready.  No one can give me faith in Jesus, it must be something I believe with my life and actions.  It means I care.  We can't get distracted, we can't give up, we can't fight political wars to the death, get swept up in what is going on around us.  God keeps on reminding me that I don't function on a worldly level, I can apart of Him, but when my life is totally surrendered to Him I absolutely don't have to worry.  I can give my last dollar and still have enough.

I'm the bride, and Jesus is the Bridegroom and He's coming for me any moment now, in life or death, I'll look for Him and see Him and live with Him forever.


Dear Heavenly Father, we long for Heaven and for Your return.  Thank you for the hope you brought with you in your birth as a humble baby.  A baby who would would grow and live the life we couldn't.  Who would take our sin to the cross, dying our death.  You rose and death was done forever.  You are coming back, and we look for you.  Thank you for the nudges that wake us up to be aware of you and how you are working.  As the child's song goes, give me oil in my lamp keep it burning, burning to the break of day. Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot

That You May Believe

The Way of Healing According to Jeremiah